Tuesday 29 September 2009

Do you think he'll notice ... ? IX

DISASTER !!!

I got my airbrush running and undercoated and then painted the urban/snowy waste camouflage pattern that I've previously used on my vehicles, and I blocked in black the areas of the vehicle that needed to be painted differently.

All was going well, and then it came to washing the vehicle to highlight the panels and such like. Now i used to do this by thinning GW ink a lot and then running it through my airbrush and letting it dry.

SO I loaded up my airbrush with GW wash (Devlan Mud mixed with Badab Black) spray it and then the phone rings. When I get back I have this...





I think I forgot to thin the wash!!! And clearly the wash settles and dries very differently to the old inks. It has completely obliterated the camouflage pattern!

Doh!!

I don't want to try and strip this so i'm going to try and re-paint over it... wish me luck... and the clock is ticking!

On a better note, these arrived in the post today!


So I now have everything i need to complete this project (except the time and enthusiasm...sigh!)

2 comments:

  1. Unlucky on the spray incident :(.

    I know it is a bit late in the day but you are right, the washes behave like thinned paint rather than ink so they settle differently and need a bit of 'poking about' (if you get what I mean).

    The good thing is that you have an airbrush and a quick spray will have this back to basecoat in no time!

    Keep up the good work on this!

    I think that the DoD competition this year is building up to be quite an excellent standard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Inso. I've used the washes a lot on figures but not though the airbrush before. The real problem was that I forgot to thin them!! Doh!

    Its re-basecoated now and should be camo'd again by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete